Tuesday, November 17, 2015

SJWs.....

If there's one thing I can't stand about the interwebs especially, it's the goddamn SJWs....or social justice warriors for those of you not familiar with the acronym.

It's so ridiculous to me the things people will waste energy arguing about. And 99% of the time, especially in anything social work related, it has to do with them disagreeing with an experience or something we cannot change. 

On that note, I strongly believe our beliefs and boundaries especially are important in our work. 

There are many times I think we do need to go with our gut, especially when it comes to putting ourselves in situations that could turn out bringing on major liability.

It also doesn't make us a bad social worker, or even a bad person if we are not comfortable doing certain things just because another social worker would do it, or moreso in real life the agency encourages it. (hmmmm....agency policies, maybe that's an area to be mindfully questioned).

We all know our limitations. 

Self-awareness is very important to our job, and well, just life in general.

I also think it's important to be kind to one another, even if we don't like their opinion. 

Take a moment to reflect for a minute on what you are spending precious moments getting so heated over.

Yes, there are things to be passionate about and get worked up about.

But coming out of left-field and attacking others without even having all the facts is not the way to go about it. In my respectful opinion of course ;).

Would we go in like this with our clients?  Because I can sure as shit say there are plenty of things my clients do that I disagree with, but berating them is going to get me...no where.  

Why do we do this to each other then, when we should be supporting fellow colleagues?

I often wonder when I see stuff like this, is the person really a social worker/helping professional? 

Because in real life, I think those of us who do this work can joke with one another and not take things so freakin' seriously. I also believe that those of us who do this for a living, can relate well to one another and have honest discussions about the challenges and even things we differ in belief in....without the name-calling.

Especially the little things that are not even a blip on most people's radar.....including many of our clients radars....

Sheesh.  Is it really only just Tuesday?


No comments:

Post a Comment