Saturday, May 8, 2010

Healthcare costs are just ridiculous

I can't remember if I have vented on here before that I pay $357.21 each WEEK out of my paycheck towards our family medical plan through my job. I pay more towards this then my 401K. Crazy.

If that's not bad enough, I just got an explanation of benefits in the mail from my son's last pediatrician visit on 4/11/10. Some of the stuff the doctor's office billed is just ridiculous and explains why insurance costs are so out of control. Look at some of what they charged my insurance company for this day's check-up only:

*Prevention visit age 1-4: $170.00

*Developmental test: $150.00 (don't even know what this "test" was beyond the doctor briefly asking me if my son has reached all of his age milestones).

*Evening/weekend/holiday charge: $75.00 (my doctor office is open 7 days a week, until 11PM during the week, until 4PM on the weekends)

*Office/outpatient visit: $125.00

So basically, they charged the insurance company THREE times for this visit, and a some "test" that is not really a test.

It doesn't look like the insurance company paid the full amounts requested but still.......it just makes my blood boil on both ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment