Friday, November 18, 2011

Don't know what the answer is

I've been watching this whole Occupy Wall Street movement the past few days, and while I no longer work in Manhattan, one of my company offices is right down there in the thick of it, so it's always on my mind.

I do absolutely agree with the underlying reasons for the protests because myself and so many of us are directly affected negatively by things such as corporate greed, high cost of living, expensive or no health insurance (I pay $350.00 a WEEK for a family of 3), lack of jobs, the whole housing mess (my home supposedly has lost over $100K in value since we bought in 2008), increasing property taxes yet constant budget cuts, expensive college tuition and loans to pay back, etc.

At this point though, I am not sure if I agree with how things have unfolded.

It's exciting to think about how this could ultimately bring some positive change in our society but I am not really convinced that will even happen.

I worry about the potential chaos that could come about from OWS though and have great concern about how our cities and towns could handle it.

People are already so angry in general and then you also have every kind of nut out there that will jump on a demonstration band-wagon.

Add those things together and you have a potential for disaster, not to mention, spending of even more money on things that the cities and towns have already exceeded in their budget.

I'm a social worker so I am supposed to be able to come up with solutions to problems, but when I think about THESE problems I really am at a total loss of what to do......

1 comment:

  1. You're not the only one at a loss for what to do. Well, there are all sorts of ideas out there; the problem is, no one (i.e., our government) can AGREE on what should be done.

    I personally have a lot of respect for anyone who cares enough about an issue to get our there and demonstrate. It may not be the solution to all our problems but at least it's SOMETHING!

    Unfortunately, there is probably not going to be any one definitive solution. I personally think it's going to take a bunch of small solutions to dig ourselves out of this hole...

    ReplyDelete