Friday, September 28, 2012

My son

was classified yesterday as a "Preschooler with a disability".

I'm still trying to wrap my head around exactly what that means. Because I certainly don't see it that way.

And I KNOW my family would also back me up, because they are questioning the terminology as well.


I feel in the grand scheme of things, he is pretty much like every other kid, except with a whole bunch more energy who has trouble with change.

I know those are things many of US struggle with, so I don't think he's really all that different.

I am hopeful that whatever comes from this, and the services he has qualified for, will make his life a 1000% better. And of course, ours too.

Because I would be lying if I said there are not days that he does not drive me totally batty and insane. But isn't that also what EVERY parent goes through?

I also know that I can handle it because we ARE handling it. We are used to it already. He's all we know.


We too could always be so much worse off. I think of many of the people I work with in my own professional life who HAVE it so much worse off............that's why I have such a hard time understanding what this term "disabled" stands for.


I will leave you all with this very touching poem.


No comments:

Post a Comment